Friday, October 18, 2019

My daughter's first pumpkin carving


Here's me and my daughter carving a pumpkin together. I'm showing her how to do it step by step because, like this post's title says, it's her first time doing that.

She comes by it honestly though.  In the Philippines, Hallowe'en is observed but not too many people are so enthusiastic about that holiday.  The bigger celebration they prefer is on November 1 called All Souls Day.  It is on that day that they visit the graves of their ancestors.  So, as you can imagine, there are tons of flowers being sold that day.



It's a good and noble holiday for sure.  But, we're not here to discuss that.  We're here to have some Hallowe'en fun with a pumpkin, which is what I and my daughter did.  My first step was to make a sketch of what the jack o' lantern's face should be.



Then came the least fun part of pumpkin carving, scooping out all of the gross insides.



It looks like Jack reverse-vomitted causing all of the puke to be released into his skull.  It feels like it too.  It is the most disgusting and mind-numbingly time consuming part of the whole process.  But, for the carving to go smoothly, this step can not be missed or done half-assed.



When that arduous task is finally done, it's time to make the face.  I drew the face on first with a pen and then with a marker.  Then I carefully carved out the face with destroying the integrity of the facial features.



In the next step, it was my daughter's turn to shine.  I had her do some painting in order to fully enhance the face.  I think she did a great job.



We then tested out what the jack o' lantern would look like at night with a light inside.  As you can see, it looks pretty good no matter what colour light is inside.  Granted this pumpkin is not as "dazzling as the Las Vegas strip" and probably won't win any pumpkin carving contests.  However, for a father-daughter project completed in a little over an hour and one of those people going in completely dark as a first-timer, I'd say we did great.

My wonderful wife documented the whole thing with a video.  She edited it and uploaded it to her Youtube channel.  Yes, I highly recommend you subscribe to it now and tell your friends to do the same.  Enjoy and Happy Hallowe'en!!

1 comment:

  1. Great job and taught her a valuable skill she will always remember

    ReplyDelete