Thursday, July 13, 2006

A Robert McKimson activity

Here's a fun activity. I managed to find a copy of McKimson's cartoon Dog Collared online. I would like you to watch it and enjoy, but also think as you watch. Remember those binary opposites I talked about in the previous post that I said were in all of McKimson's toons? Well, I would live everyone to try and find those elements within this cartoon. Then, leave a comment telling me where they were. Who knows, some of you may find elements that I missed.

Happy watching.

3 comments:

  1. The gag I liked best, and which I suspect is entirely McKimson's, is when Porky drives off after throwing the stick for the dog. He sticks his arm out to signal and turns abruptly left from the kerb: the result is a pile-up of traffic, of which Porky is entirely unaware. I think this utter disregard for the rules of the road is an part of what you defined as McKimson's anti-authority attitude - in that it underlines that for Porky at that moment having escaped the unwanted adulation (cronyism) of the dog was of far greater important than the possible existance of other road-users.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the fact that he does it 'by the book' (ie: he indicates) that makes the pile-up so funny - it points out to us that he was too preoccupied to actually look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good observation, P.H.

    I was thinking about the very end where the dog defies his original rich owners by replacing himself with a toy dog while Porky isn't looking.

    ReplyDelete